The spitfire displayed behind the
entry photograph stood
on the parade square (mounted on a pylon) from 1964 to 1978.
After it's removal it went to the Cosford Air museum for
and was restored for static display and remained there until 1995.
On 22nd March 1995 the Spitfire was moved to Manchester's
of Science & Industry, where it was put on permanent display.
The history of this Spitfire is listed as:
Serial #: MT847
Construction #: 6S/643779
Civil Registration: None
Model: FR Mk. XIVe
RAF Warton, May 1952 - Used as gate guard as UU-A.
RAF Freckleton, 1955-1962 - Gate guard.
RAF Middleton St. George, 19??.
RAF Weston, circa 1963.
RAF Cosford, 1964-1978 - Mounted on pylon.
RAF Museum, RAF Cosford, 1979-1995.
Museum of Science & Industry, Manchester
arrived 22nd March 1995 and is displayed as MT847/AX-H.
To return to the Picture Gallery - Close this page in the normal way